Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Do What I'm Told?

Saul was a king in ancient times; the first king of the Jewish people, in fact. He was chosen by God to lead Israel when they asked for a king to go out to battle for them. He was chosen by God, anointed by the prophet Samuel, and followed by the men of Israel. He valiantly fought against many of their enemies, and seemed to be a man of God. (1 Samuel 9-11)



However, I think Saul had a problem listening. Twice when given very specific, direct instructions, he chose not to follow. No big deal? Well, these two chances cost him the kingship, the kingdom, and his life in the end. He lost it all because he didn't listen and obey two very simple commands.

When Saul was approached by Samuel (the prophet) and confronted about why he disobeyed God's specific instructions, Saul replied, "But I did obey the Lord." What was said and what he did were two different stories. God had commanded Saul clearly to completely destroy the Amalekites, the people who had tormented the nation of Israel when they were wandering in the desert. God told Saul to destroy every person and animal, but when Samuel showed up, Saul had spared the king of that bad nation, as well as the best of the sheep and cattle (with the intention of sacrificing the animals to honor the Lord). Clearly he had not obeyed.

Samuel tells him that because of this the Lord has rejected him as the king, for "to obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed is better than the fat of rams. For rebellion is like the sin of divination, and arrogance like the sin of idolatry."
1 Sam 15:22-23

Here's what I'm getting at: Jesus has given me very specific commands as well. The greatest command is "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind..." And the second greatest command is "Love your neighbor as yourself." (Matthew 20:37-39)

The question I need to ask myself is, am I obeying what God's commands REALLY are, or am I only half-listening and then doing as I please? Am I really more like Saul that I would like to admit? Do I hypocritically read about him and shake my head at his foolishness?

Of course. I am a fallen person, living in a fallen world. Jesus answers my question Himself in the book of Matthew: "Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak." (Matthew 26:41)

Jesus knows that Saul and I are both descendants of Adam, corrupted by sin. That is why I must be transformed and born again through believing in Jesus, the One who understands, the One who is my hope for salvation. I am weak, so I must daily watch and pray in order to obey.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog!

Have you ever read 'A Tale of Three Kings'? This post makes me think you would enjoy it. Its a very convicting read.

God bless! -Kaylene

tesata2 said...

This is from your last paragraph,
I need to be less like Saul
and more like Paul
To gain my transformation
through Jesus, my Salvation
On my own I'm weak
so I must seek
To daily watch and pray
in order to obey.

You tend to write in rhyme. Maybe you should try some poetry?
Love, Mom