Monday, February 25, 2008

My Way Or The High Way

When was the last time you prayed "Lord God, Your will be done" and really meant it? This is a difficult prayer for me. From what I've read, if I truly want God's will in my life, it means giving up things that could be making my life very comfortable and convenient right now. In fact, this is the prayer that Jesus prayed only hours before He was hanging on the Cross. And He knew where the path lead. Paul prayed that the "thorn in his flesh" would be taken away, but God had other plans. When Jesus told Peter what kind of death Peter would die, our Lord said, "I tell you the truth, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go" (John 21:18).

When I pray this prayer, "Lord, Your will be done," do I really want God's will above my own, natural, of-the-flesh desires? I have to ask myself some questions.

What is there in my life that I know God wants me to pursue less, in order that I may know Him more?

What things are there in my life that are getting in the way of spending time with Him daily in prayer and in His word?

Are there sins I must confess? Habits I must turn over to His strength to break?

Are there attitudes that I must put away because they are selfish and hurtful to others?

Do I seek God and reflect on His Word when I make decisions and choices throughout the day?


God's will is in His Word. When I am struggling to know God's will for my life, I must read His Word, love His Word, seek His Word, pray His Word, and listen to Him. The answer may not be "Yes, you should quit your job," or "Yes, you can have a new car," or even "Yes, you should go on that mission trip." None of these things are necessarily bad choices in themselves, but do we really wait and listen for God's reply?

It may be, "Obey my commands. Love your neighbor as yourself. Do all things without complaining or disputing. Rejoice always. Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."

My fist instinct is "oh, okay, yeah I get it, now please answer my REAL question, Lord." Or "all right God, that's all well and good, but now I'm going to go ahead and do whatever it was I wanted to do anyway."

However, through reading His word and obedience, our other questions are anwered. Not only that, but God wants so much more for us! Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

C.S. Lewis says brilliantly, "Indeed, if we consider the unblushing promises of reward and the staggering nature of the rewards promised in the Gospels, it would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us..."

Infinite joy sounds better to me than a new wardrobe for sure...

No comments: